How do I find a roofing contractor?

Click here for a list of RCABC members. Members are listed alphabetically and can be searched by type and location.

What questions should I ask a roofing contractor?

  • How long have they been in business?
  • Where is their office located?
  • Are their staff trained and Red Seal ticketed?
  • Can they provide a “letter of clearance” from WorkSafeBC and a “certificate of insurance” from a Canadian-based insurance company?
  • Do they have a business licence to work in your community?
  • Will they give you references?
  • Do they have a satisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau in your community?
  • Are they willing to put all agreements, promises and understandings in writing, including a detailed description of the exact type of roofing system they propose to install, the payment terms, if any pre-payment is required, if any original materials or components such as flashing will be re-used?
  • Will they give you a sample of the written warranty for labour and materials that they intend to supply, and include the procedure for making a claim in the future.
  • Is the roofing warranty pro-rated with a declining value?

I obtained estimates from two different roofing companies – one said I only need to repair my roof and the other said I need to replace the roof. What should I do?

This would be a good time to engage an Observer to get an inspection done so that you can make an informed decision. The cost of an inspection may save you thousands of dollars down the road.

I obtained several estimates and the cost varies quite a bit from one estimate to the other. What should I do?

Make sure that you provided each company doing an estimate with the same specifications. A low price can signal shortcomings in the reliability of the roofing company and experience of the estimator and actual crew. It may also be prudent to call an RCABC accepted observation company to help you determine the correct specifications for your roofing project.

Where can I get more information about the kind of roof I need?

There is a Consumer Guide to Roofing located on this website that will assist consumers with the selection of roofing services in BC.

How do I find a reliable observation company?

Observation firms that comply with RCABC standards, policies and procedures are listed alphabetically on this website and can be searched by location.

What does it cost to have my roof inspected?

It is best to contact an observation company and ask for a quote.

If I want to make sure that the person installing my roof is a qualified roofer – what should I ask to see as proof?

Ask to see the roofer’s trade qualification certificate, or Interprovincial Red Seal certificate. The number on these certificates can be checked with SkilledTrades BC.

What kind of roofing warranties are available?

RCABC has been providing commercial, industrial and institutional building owners with a third
party roof guarantee for 50 years. Go to the Guarantee Program page on this website for more information.

My roof is leaking. Does this mean I need a new one?

Not necessarily. You may only need repair work. The best way to determine the problem is to call in a professional roofing company for an assessment.

When is the best time, or season, to replace a roof?

If you have your roof done in the spring or fall, you will generally find better availability and faster service.

What do I do if I have a problem with my new roof and cannot get satisfaction from the roofing contractor?

If the roof was installed by one of our members, please send us the details of your complaint in writing. If the roof was provided by a company that is not one of our members, you might be able to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I have many years experience in the roofing trade, how can I get my journeyperson trade qualification? 

There are two options to becoming a ticketed roofer:

The first option is to challenge the Interprovincial exam based on time in the trade. If you have 5400 documented hours of directly related work experience you are eligible to apply through the Industry Training Authority to write the exam.  If you pass the exam with a minimum 70% you receive the “Certificate of Qualification” for BC with the “Red Seal Interprovincial endorsement” and are considered a “Journeyperson Roofer”. See more information about exam challenges at

Your other option is to find a job with a roofing company and register as an apprentice. In this case you would attend three levels of training (4 weeks each year) at RCABC and earn 3600 hours of on the job training with an employer working under the guidance of a journeyperson roofer. See more information about apprenticeship on the Education page of this website.

I am a new immigrant to Canada and have many years of experience as a roofer, but I am concerned that my English will not be good enough to attend training. What can I do?

Contact the RCABC Education & Training Program Coordinator, who will register you for a free online essential skills assessment and learning tool. The assessment will compare your existing skills against those required in the field and measures your reading, document use and numeracy skills. The program also offers learning plans so you can work at your own pace to develop the skills necessary to succeed when attending training.

We also recommend that apprentices with limited English purchase an electronic translator to use during training. Apprentices with limited English can apply to the ITA to use an interpreter when writing or challenging an exam. If you use an interpreter to write the exam and you pass you would receive a “Certificate of Qualification” for BC and you would not receive “Interprovincial” status as the use of an interpreter is only recognized in BC. Get more information about how to apply for an interpreter at

I want to become an apprentice, what should I do?

If you’re ready to start an apprenticeship, you’ll need to find a job with an employer who is willing to train and sponsor you as an apprentice. Get more information about apprentice sponsorship at


Who can register as an apprentice?

Any person employed and sponsored by a company that also employs a ticketed journeyperson in the same trade can register with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) as an appentice.

Do I have to be a member of RCABC to attend roofing training classes?

Classes at the RCABC training centre are open to all registered apprentices registered with the Industry Training Authority (ITA), whether their employer is a member company or not.

When are the classes and how much does it cost?

Visit the Education & Training page on this website for complete information.

I am scheduled to attend training at RCABC. Where can I stay?

Visit the Education & Training page on this website for a list of nearby accommodations. Be sure to mention you are attending training at RCABC as discounted rates are available at most of the accommodations listed.

I am a registered apprentice, but recently got laid off. Can I still attend training at RCABC?

Yes you can. Please contact RCABC so they can update your employment status.

I lost my trade qualification certificate. How do I get a replacement?

ITA can replace a lost, stolen or damaged certificate, wallet card, registration card or log book. Click here for a request for document replacement.